It’s time for the monthly recap of that I’ve been listening to for the past 30 days. You’ll see longtime favorites, newer discoveries, and albums/eps that have grabbed my attention released in 2023. Additionally there will be a few outliers not pictured that I may mention briefly as I keep trying to stretch my listening ear behind my sweet spot.
- Y’all. This Zach & Maggie album The Elephant in the Room is so very quirky and fun. Americana, storytelling, harmonies, and two wildly catchy instrumentals have zoomed this new-to-me duo to the top of my Feb. charts. Check out songs “Caesar Said to Brutus” and “Happy Goat Lucky” for a taste. Zach & Maggie – The Elephant in the Room
- Colony House cuts loose and has some surf-rock fun on Landlocked Surf Rock and I’m here for it. My full Review can be found HERE.
- Rich Mullins had a live album called Deep Valley never before released so you know I had to check it out. It’s worth it alone just to hear him tell stories and step on metaphorical toes with his musing between songs. It’s a long album but certainly worthy of a listen or two.
- Switchfoot’s The Beauriful Letdown is now 20 years young. Yikes! Of course I had to listen to it in appreciation and then write down some memories. Switchfoot: The Beautiful Letdown’s 20th Anniversary
- I had a hankering on day to listen to instrumental music with a high fellow quotient so that’s what the cello album is about. Good work/study tunes.
- I went on a few artist discography binges and that’s reflected in high levels of Coldplay, Thrice, House of Heroes, and Lifehouse making the list. The Lifehouse albums particularly put a smile on my face as I love so many tracks from those first two albums.
- I’ve been procrastinating a long needed Paramore binge so I just jumped in on the newest album This is the Way which I’m pretty high on as a top album of 2023 so far.
- Jimmy Eat World – Bleed American. It’s quickly becoming an all-timer for me. Not sure why I waited so long.
- Also…Sixpence Divine Discontent only keeps gettitbt more gorgeous to my ears. Tension is a Passing Note & A Million Parachutes are sublime.
- Lastly, here’s my running 2023 playlist if you wanna listen along. Let me know if you find anything new that you love! 2023 Songs